Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Binges - hope this helps.


I read about something recently which made me realise a reason that we possibly binge!
Serotonin, it's a chemical that is released into the brain by eating certain foods. 'Serotonin is responsible for us feeling happy, relaxed, calm, motivated, and at peace with our lives and our role in the world'. It keeps us happy, when it's not being released enough we become depressed. We also become insomniacs, as serotonin is responsible for regular sleep as well. AND serotonin keeps appetite at bay. Dieters usually have low levels of serotonin due to (obviously) dieting. So when we start to binge, we suddenly get that happy feeling we've been missing and then we're up shit creek without a paddle!
'Serotonin is synthesized from tryptophan in the presence of adequate vitamins B1, B3, B6, and folic acid. The best food sources of tryptophan include brown rice, cottage cheese, meat, peanuts [perhaps that's why I always binge on PB O_o], and sesame seeds'(Also yoghurts have tryptophan too)
'Low serotonin levels cause intense refined carbohydrate cravings that are very difficult to ignore.  In particular, these food cravings trigger impulse eating that is difficult to control with willpower alone.   Exercising willpower and determination becomes difficult because :)your emotions make you feel "What’s the use, even if I lose weight I’ll only gain it back anyway.  I’ll always be fat."  You give up because you feel you are fighting a losing battle.  Basically, low serotonin levels attack your ability to "just say no".  It is quite common for obesity to trigger low serotonin levels, which in turn triggers a vicious cycle of food cravings and weight gain.'



SO, my conclusion is, try including those foods in your meals, and take a vitamin b complex!
(Also, never look up cottage cheese in google images, image may disturb you)
http://www.weightloss-dietfree.com/serotonin-level.html
http://www.fi.edu/learn/brain/proteins.html
http://arthritisalternativetreatment.com/2010/07/serotonin-our-natural-prozac-help-stabilize-moods-and-reduce-pain/
I had baked beans for dinner - 250, and then half a cherry ripe, coz I was craving chocolate - 80. 
On another note, I love making lists - it's so enjoyable, so I made a list of stuff to buy. Popcorn (health food style), peppermint green tea, parsnips, green beans, spaghetti squash, lime marmalade,cinnamon raisin bagels, berries, seaweed snacks (7 cal), bottled oolong tea (0 cal), almond milk (60 cal per cup).

3 comments:

  1. wow! thankyu SO much! i never understood why its like i cant stopeating sometimes. no wonder. i dont eat any brown rice, cottage cheese, peanuts or sesame seeds. well i eat sesame oil if that counts? and i eat meat but not too often, though when i do i eat a TON! and i ate a whole jar of peanut butter once, the big jar! its one of my weaknesses. ^//^

    thanks for this post! definately making note of it!

    ps- im a total list maker too XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always impressed by how suck little chemical compounds of stupid neutrons and electrons can control our feelings...
    Thanks for this post, very informative! (:
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to learn this for treatment methods of depression in psychology. It's really fascinating, isn't it?

    Bananas are also high in tryptophan :)

    Great post, thank you. ^_^

    ReplyDelete