Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Nacho Cheese - Vego Rant


What do you call cheese that isn't yours?
hahahahahhaa..
anyway.

Today, at rehearsal (musical production), the director brought about 5 bags of nacho cheese doritos for the cast to share, of course I didn't have any (what am I, crazy?) but I want to make people think that I want some but can't because of veganism.
So I turned to my friend, and I said "dammit, why do they have to be CHEESE flavoured?" and then this guy, who was there was like "yeah well you're vegan" (in an insulting tone) and I replied and said "Yeah well you're asian.." and he says "So, have you got a problem with that?" and I said "No, do you have a problem with me being vegan?" and he said "Yes. You're not actually helping animals at all, we're meant to eat meat," I said, "Oh, I didn't realise we were still cavemen and had to hunt for our food to SURVIVE, oh WAIT, we don't do that, we mass produce animals, treat them terribly, and slaughter them," and then he got into a massive argument with me about it.
Okay, it's NOT that I like preaching to people about it. But when somebody BRINGS IT UP and then argues against me, that pisses me off. Why should they care, I'm not trying to make them be vegan am I? Actually it was pretty much just plain rude.
I have plenty of good reasons to be vegan or at LEAST vegetarian.

If you don't care about animals being slaughtered, then at least take these into consideration. (These are some of my best facts)

- Over 1.3 billion people could be fed each year from the grain and soybeans that go to feed livestock in the United States alone. If no one ate meat, the entire population of the United States could be fed highly nutritional vegetarian diets with enough food left over to feed one billion people elsewhere. In a world where millions of people die each year of starvation, this type of food excess and inefficiency is considered by many to be unethical.

- Length of time world's petroleum reserves would last if all human beings ate meat-centred diet: 13 years
Length of time world's petroleum reserves would last if all human beings ate vegetarian diet: 260 year

-Number of acres of U.S. forest which have been cleared to create cropland to produce a meat-centred diet: 260,000,000
Amount of trees spared per year by each individual who switches to a pure vegetarian diet: 1 acre

- User of more than half of all water used for all purposes in the United States: Livestock production

Dairy:
- At 2 years of age, a young female cow is impregnated. When her calf is born he is taken away within 24 hours of birth and usually killed before he is even five days old. The mother is left grieving for her lost calf, whilst her milk, which nature intended for her baby, is milked from her body to go to supermarket shelves.

She is then reimpregnated 6-9 weeks later, and this cycle continues until she can no longer produce enough milk to be considered a ‘profitable unit’. Then, she too is killed.

For the dairy industry, calves are nothing more than a ‘by-product’ of forcing the mother to produce milk. Every year up to 1 million calves are killed as ‘waste-products’ from the dairy industry.

- A cow’s natural lifespan is 25 years, but cows used by the dairy industry are killed after only four or five years.

Links
Cruelty to Dairy Cows
Vegetarian Statistics

No comments:

Post a Comment